What is the aim of the parent’s association?
- Implement a programme of activities through parental/guardian involvement that will be of benefit and
interest to our children.
- Provide opportunities for discussion and information around issues of common interest to
parents/guardians and support parents in the school
- Be a channel for communication between parents/guardians and the school.
- The Parent Association works with the principal, staff and the board of management to build effective
partnership of home and school.
- Educational research on the involvement of parents in schools shows that children achieve higher levels when parents and teachers work together.
- The Parent Association can advise the principal and Board of Management on policy issues and incidents that may require a review of school policy, e.g. Bullying, Safety, Homework, Enrolment, Behaviour
- Parent Associations can suggest and/or organise extra-curricular activities.
- Parent Association can invite speakers to address the parents on issues which are topical or relevant.
What does the parent’s association not do?
- Decision making and management issues in the school
- Professional issues re. Teaching and learning
- A channel for complaints for other parents
- The Parent Association is not a forum for complaint against either an individual teacher or parent.
As a new Parents Council of Scoil Úna Naofa members we have decided that our main 3 pillars that we will be focusing on are:
- Fun for kids – make school a more fun place for kids, through various fundraising activities raise money to improve facilities in the school (such as Polytunnel on the roof garden, garden in the school yard, school
yard, active white boards with projectors to make learning more fun etc), organize kid’s events in the
school, engage kids in fun/active lifestyle in line with Active School’s Status
- Fundraising for school
- Parent Engagement – Engaging with other parents, inform you about about extra-curricular activities in school, provide general information about school/events/fundraising, invite to volunteer for some events that school/Parents Council organising.
Parent Association 2018/2019 Team
Chairperson: John Pakenham
Secretary: Marite Taurina
Treasurer: Erin Kenny and Tracey Freer
Other Parent’s Association Members
- Trevor Clowry
- Melanie Cruise
- Jackie Elliott
- Rosheen Kemple
- Fran Leonard
- Philip McGiff
- Keith Stephens
Come Join Us
Scoil Úna Naofa Parents Association is always looking for new members. Our meetings occur once a month and members can decide how much time they can offer.
Parental involvement is one of the most significant factors contributing to a child’s success in school. When parents are involved in the children’s education, the level of student achievement increases.
Join us now and make your child’s time at Scoil Úna Naofa as positive and fulfilling as possible.
We look forward to hearing from you in the new school year with any ideas and suggestions you might
have around school events, activities, fundraising ideas or parents talks.