What is the aim of the parent’s association?
- Implement a programme of activities through parental/guardian involvement that will be of benefit and
interest to our children.
- Provide opportunities for discussion and information around issues of common interest to
parents/guardians and support parents in the school
- Be a channel for communication between parents/guardians and the school.
- The Parent Association works with the principal, staff and the board of management to build effective
partnership of home and school.
- Educational research on the involvement of parents in schools shows that children achieve higher levels when parents and teachers work together.
- The Parent Association can advise the principal and Board of Management on policy issues and incidents that may require a review of school policy, e.g. Bullying, Safety, Homework, Enrolment, Behaviour
- Parent Associations can suggest and/or organise extra-curricular activities.
- Parent Association can invite speakers to address the parents on issues which are topical or relevant.
What does the parent’s association not do?
- Decision making and management issues in the school
- Professional issues re. Teaching and learning
- A channel for complaints for other parents
- The Parent Association is not a forum for complaint against either an individual teacher or parent.
As a new Parents Council of Scoil Úna Naofa members we have decided that our main 3 pillars that we will be focusing on are:
- Fun for kids – make school a more fun place for kids, through various fundraising activities raise money to improve facilities in the school (such as Polytunnel on the roof garden, garden in the school yard, school
yard, active white boards with projectors to make learning more fun etc), organize kid’s events in the
school, engage kids in fun/active lifestyle in line with Active School’s Status
- Fundraising for school
- Parent Engagement – Engaging with other parents, inform you about about extra-curricular activities in school, provide general information about school/events/fundraising, invite to volunteer for some events that school/Parents Council organising.
Parent Association 2018/2019 Team
Chairperson: John Pakenham
Secretary: Marite Taurina
Treasurer: Erin Kenny and Tracey Freer
Other Parent’s Association Members
- Suzanne Browne
- Trevor Clowry
- Jackie Elliott
- Rachel Furlong
- Jenny Kelly
- Rosheen Kemple
- Philip McGiff
Bag2School collection next Tuesday the 21st of May in aid of The Parents Association ongoing initiatives for our children’s school and the Laura Lynn Charity.👕👖👔👞🧣
Everyone in the community is welcome to bring their unwanted bagged clothes, paired shoes, hats and bags to the school on Monday 20th of May between 7pm and 8pm or Tuesday at 9am until 9.30am 👖👕👔👞
Thank you for your support.
Many thanks to everyone who donated to our clothes fundraising event.We received over 100 large bags of clothes.All the money earned will be going to the roof garden project.
The parent association welcomed two new members in January, Rachel Furlong and Jenny Kelly.If any parents would like to get involved, please let us know via our Facebookpage or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The school are currently organising a parent representative from each class with the aim of improving communication between parents, students and the school.
Walk on Wednesday
The parents’ association have introduced WOW to encourage children to walk to and from school on Wednesdays and it was great to see so many kids and parents ditching the car and walking.
See the Walk on Wednesday page for more details.
The parents’ association have introduced evening walks and we had a great turnout on our first evening walk –60 people!! We walked 2.6km in 36 minutes. Thanks to all the volunteers and participants and especially to the excited kids for forcing their parents to get off the couch. Remember everyone is welcome to join, so hoping to see you all back every Wednesday evening at 7pm at the main entrance to the school. Follow the Scoil Úna Naofa Parents association facebook page to see photos and keep up to date with all that’s happening in the school.
The Parents Association would like to thank all parents, pupils, teachers and local businesses for their very generous donations and support for our fundraising cake sale which took place in December.
We raised a total of €1,200 for the school garden and polytunnel. This is a great start and will help tremendously with work which has already begun on our roof garden. We will keep you updated..
Come Join Us
Scoil Úna Naofa Parents Association is always looking for new members. Our meetings occur once a month and members can decide how much time they can offer.
Parental involvement is one of the most significant factors contributing to a child’s success in school. When parents are involved in the children’s education, the level of student achievement increases.
Join us now and make your child’s time at Scoil Úna Naofa as positive and fulfilling as possible.
We look forward to hearing from you in the new school year with any ideas and suggestions you might
have around school events, activities, fundraising ideas or parents talks.