Scoil Úna Naofa Early Start Unit
We believe the early years of childhood are essential for laying down the foundation children need to succeed in life. In the Early Start unit, we provide this through following the Aistear curriculum of learning through play. We also believe that parental involvement in a child’s education is essential for their success and we encourage this throughout the Early Start year.
The Early Start unit in Scoil Úna Naofa was set up in 1995 by the Department of Education with the aim of providing an educational programme to enhance the overall development of those children who attend.
It is situated in the same building as Scoil Úna Naofa with its own separate entrance. The unit is under the management of the school principal, Adrienne Ní Cheallaigh and follows the same holidays as the primary school.
The Early Start unit is staffed by two childcare workers and two teachers from Scoil Úna Naofa. The two childcare workers have been working in the unit since it’s opening in 1995 and the primary teachers change over time.
The Early Start unit consists of two spacious classrooms in which two sessions take place daily.
A morning session, from 8.50 – 11.20am and an afternoon session, from 12.00pm – 2.25pm.
The maximum number of children in each class is 15. In order for your child to qualify for a place they must be aged between 3 years 2 months and 4 years 7 months by the 1st of September of year of entry.
Application forms can be downloaded from the school website or obtained from the secretary in Scoil Úna Naofa.
- We have two spacious and brightly coloured classrooms.
- A large closed in soft play area with outdoor toys for the children to play on.
- We follow the Aistear Curriculum of Early Reading, Writing and Maths skills. The children also take part in Gardening, Art & Crafts, Music and P.E. Activities.
- During the year we provide take home activities, such as, a book library and an art & craft pre writing activity.
- We also have a sports day, Halloween fun day, Christmas concert and Graduation ceremony each year.
- We encourage parental involvement by providing in-classroom parental workshops, twice yearly school trips which all parents are encouraged to attend. There are also parents courses available through the school’s Home School Liaison programme.
- School lunches provided daily.
Early Start enrolment form and welcome booklet provided by Rachel (HSCL).
Telephone : 0860338756 (between 8.50am – 2.30pm)
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Some Useful Links
- Link to Aistear: www.ncca.ie